Reboot

October has been one long month of splurging. Some responsible splurging and some out of control splurging. I consistently have perfectly Nutritarian breakfasts and lunches but dinners, especially weekend dinners, have been getting a little ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this is typical but I've been finding it very easy to stay healthy and avoid all sugar, salt, oil and junk during the day but once the sun goes down and I'm around people enjoying standard american diets, I want to indulge. I used to be able to stop after one or two bites of unhealthy food but there have been times this month where I've just kept shoveling it in. Gross. A lot of people say things like "one bad meal won't matter." "You only live once." "You can't deprive yourself." "Maintaining your diet is too extreme." I've heard a lot of justifications for crappy eating and I honestly don't believe any of them. There have been many dietary regrets this month as I've had 3-4 days a week where I splurge on 10% or more of my diet. It never fails to make me feel gross and regretful. For the time that I was strictly following a Nutritarian diet, not once did I have any regrets for missing out on standard fare. It's a lesson that must be learned over and over again: re-introducing processed foods back into you diet, even just by 10%, is a very slippery slope.

I've decided to commit again to a 6 week challenge of 100% Nutritarian eating. The 6 weeks starts right now. Not Monday, not next month, NOW. This 6 week period will not only include Thanksgiving, but also my mom's bridal shower and wedding. Tough times to be on a strict diet by choice. I genuinely love following the Nutritarian lifestyle and I don't want to give up. Now that I'm at a healthy weight for the first time in roughly 8 years, I can start to really focus on health. My superficial (but also very important) goal of weight loss has been met. Now is the time to keep working hard to ensure this weight loss remains permanent!

I'm expecting a few hard nights this week. Sunday night usually includes some sort of vegan comfort food as I wind down the weekend and prepare for another week of work. Wednesday nights are always late nights for me and usually result in a vegan salad from Chipotle with a much too massive amount of salt, corn and guacamole. Friday night is the triumphant end to the work week and has been requiring a celebratory indulgence. Im breaking the pattern today.

Now that weight loss is no longer a motivator, I've got to get creative. I'll be heading to Michael's today for some stickers. Each day that I remain Nutritarian gets rewarded with a sticker. Each time I earn 7 stickers in a row, I can reward myself with anything that is not related to food. A little juvenile? Totally. But I love Michael's and stickers so let's see if it works!

Do any of you struggle with this?? Tell me how you stay on the wagon!

Comments

Popular Posts