Kate's House Balsamic Vinaigrette (Oil-free!)

Balsamic vinaigrette is my absolute favorite salad dressing. The best vinaigrette is usually referred to as "House Vinaigrette" in restaurants and has a slightly creamier, more decadent texture than a traditional vinaigrette.  My all time favorite comes from the most perfect salad chain called Chop't.  If you live in NYC or DC, run to your nearest Chop't and buy a bottle of their freshly made balsamic vinaigrette.  You're welcome.  :)

As you have probably figured out by now, we have been eating a LOT of salads lately.  What goes perfectly with salad, you ask?  Balsamic vinaigrette! Sadly, all vinaigrettes I have come across contain oil (the definition of vinaigrette is the combination of vinegar and oil) and oil is strictly off limits during the 6-week plan. This week I put an end to this tragedy. I did some experimenting and created an oil-free vinaigrette that, dare I say, could rival my beloved Chop't. Behold:

Kate's House Balsamic Vinaigrette

Kate's House Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serves: Maybe 1 1/2 cups?...I devoured this way too fast to keep track (sorry).

Ingredients:
1/4 C Good Balsamic Vinegar (I used Balsamic Vinegar of Modena from Trader Joe's
1/4 C Raw Unsalted Cashews
1 T Dijon Mustard (No added sugar or oil)
1 T Finely Ground Flaxseed (not only is this highly nutritious, it also thickens the mixture)
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Shakes of Ground Pepper (feel free to adjust this to your taste)
3 Shakes Dried Italian Seasoning Blend (again, adjust to taste and make sure your blend does not contain salt)
1/2 C Water

Instructions: Toss all ingredients in blender. Blend on high until very smooth. There should not be any evidence of cashew grains. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate for at least two hours before enjoying. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Whisk before serving. Serve with salad or use as a marinade or sauce.


Let me know if you guys try this! Would love to hear if you like it as much as I do!


In other news, tomorrow I embark on a long anticipated family vacation with my husband's family! We will be heading to the mountains of New Mexico where we could encounter rattlesnakes and bears, but we will not encounter cell reception, wireless internet or scales to track our daily progress. Oh my! Many temptations await, but I am confident that I can stay strong! I won't be able to post my weekly update on Monday, but I have a couple recipes I will be sharing in the mean time. Wish me luck for a guilt-free vacay!

Comments

  1. Kate - I'm falling apart. I just had McDonalds. OF ALL THINGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try the dressing, Kate! Have an awesome vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a great time to have a recipe with balsamic vinegar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate - I just made this and it is delicious. I used it to dress what I call a garbage salad - just take any and all vegetables and toss them in. Very zesty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Glad you like it. I've been enjoying your chipotle dressing everyday this week with my lunch salad! Mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts