Apple Berry Pie

Don't you hate it when you're trying to eat healthy but all you want is a fat slice of apple pie?! I have a solution! The hubs and I have done a little recipe experimentation this week and I'm particularly psyched about our microwave "baked" apples. They are scrumptious. They taste like apple pie. They are nutritious! I have seen a lot of dessert recipes that claim to be "healthy" yet they still call for oil, margarine, or sugar in some form. For me, all of those ingredients say "peace out, health." With these Apple Berry Pies you can remove the quotes around Healthy Dessert! Yes!


Apple Berry Pie
Apple Berry Pie

Serves 1 or 2 (if you're feeling generous)
Ingredients:
-1 Honeycrisp Apple*
-Frozen Blueberries** (not many are needed)
-Cinnamon (a few dashes worth)

Directions:
-Prepare the crust: carefully use a sharp knife to remove the core from the apple taking care to keep the bottom of the apple intact. I also found a serrated grapefruit spoon to be helpful with scooping out the core. Don't worry if you cut out more than the core, it will just make more room for berries!

-Using a vegetable peeler, peel a horizontal strip of skin off around the middle of the apple (If you forget this step, like I did recently, the apple will still be edible, it just will not have cooked evenly)

-Add the filling: sprinkle cinnamon inside the apple then f
ill with frozen blueberries. Top with another dash of cinnamon for good measure.

-Microwave apple in one-minute increments until apple is soft and the blueberries have made a divine pool of juicy sauce. Each apple I have made has required a total of three minutes. Note: If you do not cover the apple, you will have a lovely blueberry splattered plate as well as a not so lovely blueberry splattered microwave.

*Honeycrisp apples will promise a very sweet dessert, however, I used green apples and still got great results. I did not find the green to be too tart, but I'm looking forward to trying this with a honeycrisp next time. Whatever variety of apple you use, just be sure that it is firm and crisp. A mushy/mealy apple will not make a delicious "pie crust."

**I had blueberries on hand, but feel free to use whatever berries/smaller juicy fruits you like. I'm going to try frozen cherry halves next!

There you have it! An honest to goodness healthy/wholesome/nutrient-dense dessert. Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts