Portobello Pizza

Happy weekend, all! One of my previous go-to weekend indulgences would be a cheese pizza...deep dish, thin crust, hand tossed...you name it, I ate it. Now that I am committed to a vegan diet, I won't touch dairy cheese with a 10 foot pole. I would sooner eat meat than consume dairy. That poses a slight challenge for a pizza lover. Enter: Daiya Cheese. Daiya is a vegan, soy free, nut free cheese substitute. It is by no means nutritarian, but it is a great choice when the urge to indulge strikes. I used a sprinkle of Daiya Mozzarella Shreds on these scrumptious portobello pizzas last night. Using a non-dairy cheese is completely optional and I do think these would still be divine without. If you were in my dining room, you would have thought I was chowing on a slice of the best pizza in the world. I'm telling you though, these. are. good! The baked mushroom somehow tastes like pizza dough and the toppings capture all the Italian flavor I crave. I was probably a titch annoying to my husband as I would not stop gushing about how much I was enjoying my meal. 

This is a very simple recipe and can easily be adapted using whatever your favorite veggie pizza toppings are. Get creative!





Portobello Pizza
Makes 2 Mini Pizzas

Ingredients:
2 Large Portobello Mushrooms (Mine were from Trader Joe's. called Portobello Stuffing Mushrooms)
1/4 Large Red Onion, Finely Chopped
12 Grape Tomatoes, Chopped in Quarters
2 Small-Medium Cloves of Garlic, Minced
Black Pepper
Daiya Mozzarella Shreds or Other Non-Dairy Cheese (optional)
Oregano
Red Pepper Flakes
Fresh Basil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
Dry saute chopped onions in a hot skillet until caramelized (brown and tender)

While onions are sauteing, remove the stems from the portobellos and mince. Scrape the gills out of the portobellos with a spoon.


Once onions have caramelized, add the quartered tomatoes, minced garlic, minced portobello stems and a few sprinkles of black pepper. Saute until tomatoes have lightly shriveled and the pan has become very fragrant.


Place portobellos on foiled baking sheet. Spoon sauteed mixture into the portobellos. Top with cheese (just a sprinkle gives plenty of flavor). Top cheese with a healthy dose of oregano. Add a dash of crushed red pepper to your heat preference.


Bake for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are no longer firm and the top of the filling has baked to a slight crispness.


Remove from oven and top with a chiffonade of basil. Let cool slightly to eat with your hands or devour immediately with fork and knife.

Comments

Popular Posts